Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Easy Chicken Casserole

I was lazy and didn't cook anything last week--oops! So to make up for it, I've already cooked two meals this week! Last night we had our delicious, delicious breakfast supper. Tonight we had chicken casserole, carrots, and broccoli.

This meal wasn't the prettiest--but it was surprisingly tasty! I'd never cooked chicken casserole before. Here's what I started with.


I had Ritz crackers, a can of store brand premium chunk chicken in water, a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup, Uncle Ben's chicken flavored long grain and wild rice, and about 1/2 a cup of Breakstone's sour cream.

I started out with the rice. I followed the directions on the box and emptied the rice, seasoning packet, water, and butter into a small pan. I was a little concerned by how green the mixture was.


I brought it to a boil. At this point it looked a little like a witch's brew.


I reduced the heat and let it simmer (covered) for awhile. While it was simmering, I emptied the cream of chicken soup and canned chicken into a pan. I also added a little bit of milk. I heated it on low and stirred occasionally while the rice was simmering.


It took the rice about 20-25 minutes to cook. I knew it was done because most of the water was gone.The color looked a bit more appetizing now.


As soon as the rice was finished, I put the sour cream in the chicken mixture. I removed it from heat because I didn't want the sour cream to curdle.


I also poured in the rice and stirred it all together. I poured the mixture into two greased Pyrex dishes. I was a little concerned about the color--looked a little pale to me.


I crushed up some Ritz crackers and sprinkled them on top of the casserole. (I SHOULD have mixed the crackers in melted butter first--but I forgot.)


I'd preheated the oven to 375. Since the food was already cooked, I just put the casserole in for 15 minutes. But when I took it out of the oven, I decided to drizzle the Ritz with a little bit of butter and put it back in for 10 more minutes.

I made some broccoli with cheese. I wish I could say it was fresh--but it was a bag of frozen broccoli florets. I put it in a pot with some water and butter and boiled it for a few minutes.


I actually think I overcooked it--but that's okay because I don't mind mushy broccoli. I drained it and added some cheddar cheese.


I also made some carrots. From a can. Easy peasy. I did add just a little bit of sugar when cooking them.


Casserole is finished! 


I decided to cook a couple pieces of bacon in the microwave at the last minute to add to the top of the casserole. I just added it to one, though.



The verdict? Pretty yummy! (Notice that random piece of bacon off to the side.) Plus, we had enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow.


I took one of the casseroles and some of the carrots and broccoli to my parents' house. I'm a good daughter--remember?

I could get used to this cooking stuff. Now if the dishes would just do themselves...

Here's the simple recipe.

Easy Chicken Casserole


1 box Uncle Ben's chicken flavored long grain and wild rice
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup
1 can premium chunk chicken in water
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
butter, softened at room temperature
milk

1. Prepare rice according to directions on box. Mix rice, seasoning packet, water, and butter into medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 or until water is absorbed in rice. Go ahead and preheat oven to 375.
2. Heat cream of chicken soup, canned chicken, and a little bit of milk on low. Stir occasionally.
3. As soon as rice is finished, remove cream of chicken mixture from heat and add sour cream. Add the rice and stir all ingredients together.
4. Pour into greased casserole dish.
5. Crush up Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top of casserole. Drizzle a small amount of melted butter over the Ritz crackers.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure crackers don't burn.
7. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment